Allowing the apples to render their juices with the sugar and eggs makes tender, flavorful muffins. Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Grease a standard 12-muffin pan, or line with paper cups.
- 1- 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- scant 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1- 1/2 cups packed coarsely grated or finely chopped peeled apples (about 2 medium), with juice
- 5 tbsp warm melted unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans
Thoroughly whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt.
Whisk together in another bowl, eggs and sugar. Stir in apples and let stand for 10 minutes.
Stir butter and nuts into egg/sugar/apple mixture.
Add the flour mixture and fold just until the dry ingredients are mpistened. Do not over-mix, the batter will not be smooth. Divide the batter among the muffin cups. Bake until a toothpick inserted in muffins comes out clean, about 14-16 minutes.
Let cool for 3 minutes before removing from pan.
Source: Joy of Cooking