A great make-ahead lunch recipe that can be altered according to what you like and what you have in the fridge.
- 1/4 cups fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cups extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 2 tbsps chopped fresh mint or basil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 avocado pitted, peeled, diced
- 2 fulls English cucumbers, sliced crosswise in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 fulls Roma tomatoes
- 1/2 cups pitted green olives
- 1 cup Pepper Jack cheese, grated
- 6 cups hearts of romaine, coarsely chopped
- 2 6-inches pitas
In large bowl, combine juice, oil, and honey; stir to combine. Add mint, salt, and pepper; stir to combine.
Add avocado, cucumbers, tomatoes, and olives; gently toss. Add cheese and lettuce; toss. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Cut pitas in half, open pocket, and fill each half with salad. Do not overfill or pita will tear.
Nutritional information (per sandwich): Calories 270, fat calories 150; total fat 17 grams, sat fat 4 grams, cholesterol 15 milligrams; sodium 560 milligrams; fiber 3 grams, sugars 5 grams; protein 8 grams; vitamin A IUs 60%; vitamin C 30%; calcium 15%; iron 10%.
Serves: 8 sandwich halves
Source: Melissa’s Everyday Cooking with Organic Produce, Cathy Thomas, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2010.