With tomato season upon us, this delicious gazpacho recipe from Nielsen-Massey is filled with lots of great flavor and healthful ingredients. Grab the veggies from your backyard garden, or buy them at the local market, and transform the flavors of the season into this refreshingly filling chilled soup.
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes (may substitute with 1(28-ounce) can of whole organic tomatoes, drained)
- 2 ears corn, husks on
- 1 small red onion, peeled and halved
- 1 poblano pepper
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 English cucumber, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon Nielsen-Massey Organic Fairtrade Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- ¼ cup rinsed, finely chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 cup spicy hot tomato juice (additional juice may be added if desired)
- freshly ground black pepper
In a large saucepan, bring 3 quarts of water to a boil. Score the bottom of each tomato with an X. Working in two batches, place the tomatoes in boiling water for 15 seconds. Remove tomatoes with a slotted spoon and place in an ice bath. Peel tomatoes starting at the point of the X pulling downward. Seed and chop; set aside.
Pull husks back from corn and remove corn silk with paper towel. Place husks back around corn and soak in cold water, about 15 minutes before grilling. Place corn, onion cut side down, poblano and bell peppers on a prepared charcoal or gas grill grate, over high heat. Grill and turn corn until tender, about 8 minutes. Remove onion when nicely grill marked. Using tongs, turn peppers until skin is charred.
Place charred peppers in a medium bowl and cover with plastic wrap; set aside for about 10-12 minutes. Remove charred skin from peppers, rinse, stem, seed and chop; place in a large food processor bowl. Carefully run knife down corn to remove kernels from cob. Add corn, onion and garlic to processor bowl, process for about 1-2 minutes. Add tomatoes, cucumber, vanilla extract, vinegar, cumin and cilantro and process to desired consistency.
Pour mixture into a large bowl; add tomato juice; stir to combine. Salt and pepper to taste. Cover and chill for 2 hours before serving.