Quick, easy, and delicious, this recipe brings the great flavors of cilantro seeds and aniseed to a family favorite, giving it a decidedly adult taste, while satisfying the kids.
- ½ tsp cilantro seeds
- ¼ tsp aniseed
- ½ cup well-flavored honey
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 tbsp fresh orange juice
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 tsp rosemary, finely chopped
- 1 tsp sage, finely chopped
- 12 boneless chicken thighs, cut into large pieces, about 4 cm (1 ½”) square
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-2 limes, cut into wedges
In a small pan, toast the cilantro and aniseed over a moderate heat, tossing, until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar or spice grinder and grind to a powder.
In a bowl, mix together the honey, juices, green onions, thyme, rosemary, sage and ground spice mixture. Ad the chicken pieces to the marinade and turn to coat. Allow to marinate, refrigerated, for 1-2 hours.
Heat the barbecue or a ridged grill over a moderately high heat.
Remove the chicken from the marinade and season with salt and pepper. Thread the chicken onto metal skewers, occasionally adding a lime wedge. Grill, turning as each side cooks. Brush with the marinade now and again while grilling. Transfer the skewers to a platter to rest before serving.
Source: Everyday Epicurean, Catherine Bell, Ten Speed Press